Home of the Fighting Hornets
Girls Varsity Field Hockey
Herndon High Hornets Field Hockey
Tryout and Program Information – Fall 2018
Varsity Head Coach – Mary Miller (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Assistant Coach – Stephanie Howell (email@example.com)
- Tryouts begin Monday, July 30 at 8:30-11:00am for all players (freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors). Morning tryouts continue through the week. Varsity tryouts will include an evening session Monday, July 30 through Thursday, August 2 at 5:30-7pm for all returning varsity players, all juniors and seniors, and other invited players. The complete schedule for August 2018 (tryouts, practices, scrimmages/games) will be posted at www.herndonathletics.org (Varsity Field Hockey page/Team News section).
- Players should bring the following to tryouts: stick, mouth guard, shin guards, running shoes, turf shoes/cleats, cold water, sunscreen (optional). Goggles can be provided if players do not have.
- All paperwork should be turned in prior to Tryouts; otherwise please bring on Monday. Paperwork includes: VHSL Physical (dated after May 1, 2018), Emergency Care Card, and Communicable Disease Information Sheet. Paperwork can be found at Herndon Athletic Homepage-Announcements page. Coaches will also collect paperwork at Green Days and Conditioning Days.
- Each Athlete AND Parent must complete the online Concussion Education Program prior to Tryouts. This online course can be found on the Herndon Athletics Website and FCPS homepage.
- All athletes will go through the same tryout process regardless of playing status the previous season. Coaches will assess and time all returning athletes and selected freshmen in: Endurance Runs (including timed 2 mile), Sprints, Footwork/agility, and Stick work.
- Athletes will also be assessed on their field hockey skills through small sided games and scrimmages. Game sense, attitude, work ethic, leadership and ability to work within a team framework will be taken into consideration.
- Athletes are expected to attend ALL tryout sessions. Injuries or illnesses should be reported to the Coaches. All injuries will be checked out by the HHS Certified Athletic Training Staff.
- Team selections and roster size will be determined by the coaching staff.
- Varsity team will include top skilled players of any grade level; JV team will be limited to 11th – 9th graders.
- All HHS field hockey players must abide by the FCPS Participation Policy and HHS Field Hockey Program Rules. These will be discussed the first day of Tryouts.
- Athletes are expected to practice 5 days a week and attend possible field hockey events and practices on some Saturdays.
- Scrimmages and games begin in mid-August, prior to the start of school. The schedule is posted on the Herndon Athletics website/field hockey/schedule.
Any questions should be directed towards Coach Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Field Hockey Calendar, Summer 2018
Green Day Workouts: (All workouts on the back Turf field 9:30am – 10:45 am)
Thursday, June 28
Tuesday, July 10
Thursday, July 12
Tuesday, July 17
Thursday, July 19
Tuesday, July 24
Thursday, July 26
RED WEEK: July 1 – July 8 NO WORKOUTS/CONDITIONING/TEAM MEETINGS
Green Day Workouts: Are open to any HHS student (including rising 9th graders). You MUST have a valid 2018 VHSL physical to participate (dated after May 1, 2018). Current physicals are valid only until June 30, 2018. Green Days are NOT tryouts. They are an opportunity to work on individual skills and get ready for tryouts and the season. Please bring your own stick, mouth guard, shin guards, and goggles. Also, please bring a current Emergency Care Card.
The back Turf Field at Herndon is open most days during the summer. You are always welcome to go up on your own or with a friend or two and work out. Please feel free to do so!
Because of the renovation, parents/players should park in the gravel parking area near the HHS sign and rock at the front of the school. Please walk (carefully) to the back field.
Tryouts will begin Monday, July 30th at 8:30 am – 11:00 am, and continue all week. Morning tryouts are for ALL players. An evening Varsity tryout will be for rising upper-class players, all returning Varsity players and those designated by the coaching staff. Evening tryouts are scheduled for Mon – Thursday, 5:30 pm – 7:00pm. More complete tryout info will be posted soon.
Any questions: Please contact Coach Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org